randomserver
Free Random Numbers

Home » Random Numbers » Stories on Random Numbers » Random number generators (used for security purposes)
Show: Today's Messages :: Show Polls :: Message Navigator
E-mail to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Random number generators [message #44] Tue, 11 January 2011 06:19 Go to next message
TRNG98 is currently offline  TRNG98
I once had a customer who asked many questions on how to integrate a hardware random number generator to a computer application.

This is not uncommon; most customers use a hardware random number generator for a game application, a lottery, or possibly a statistical science application. This was a bit different, after a while it came out what he was trying to accomplish.

He ran security for a diamond mine. In such a mine a security issue is that a worker can find a diamond in the dirt, and then pocket it and take it home. So workers are searched when they leave work. But, for cost and convenience, they don't search all workers when they leave the mine. He was looking for a solution, where guards could not select who is to be searched. Co-operation between a worker and a guard should also be eliminated.

An additional complication -- this was in the south part of Africa -- that possibly a majority of the guards was white, while the workers was mostly black. But not all workers are black, some are also white. Some kind tricky situation emerge, of a political nature, that could be solved eliminating the thought that the white gourds never select a white worker for search.

The solution used a serial port random number generator such as the TRNG9803.

TRNG98 We sell hardware random number generators
Re: Random number generators [message #52 is a reply to message #44] Fri, 21 January 2011 19:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
David_T is currently offline  David_T
I was wondering if these special applications are common? Most units are used for computer security?
Re: Random number generators [message #53 is a reply to message #52] Sun, 23 January 2011 11:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
TRNG98 is currently offline  TRNG98
My opinion would be that most units are sold for game applications and lotteries. The typical application would be a poker server.

TRNG98 We sell hardware random number generators
Re: Random number generators [message #82 is a reply to message #53] Thu, 19 January 2012 06:14 Go to previous message
RWilliamson3 is currently offline  RWilliamson3
When I was working software for a Poker company, a strange thing occurred. The random number testing failed on one of the production servers in Netherlands Antilles, in this case running test-scripts for the next update. This server had a hardware random number add-on that seeded the Linux /dev/random. Apparently the hardware had failed in some way, and this not only did stop the hardware generated contribution, the software messed up the normal operation in some way so that the statistical testing failed.
I was brought in on this issue, as the software guys thought that there was something wrong with the statistical test software!

Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic: Use of this area
Next Topic: Problems with the EVO USB
Goto Forum:

-=] Back to Top [=-
[ Syndicate this forum (XML) ] [ RSS ] [ PDF ]

Current Time: Tue Oct 15 20:37:24 W. Europe Daylight Time 2019